The MyTube project (download v0.0001 here) continues on with yet another example of getting your video your way. Just when I think I'm done, it keeps pulling me back in! Or something to that effect.
While at the Iowa Code Camp, I was talking to someone about the MyTube code and I casually mentioned that you could take the solution I had built and you could quickly build a WPF client to show Silverlight Streaming content. I boastfully said I could have it up and running in about 20 minutes. Well, it took me longer than that and I still didn't put the minimal "fit and finish" work I did on my Silverlight version, but it works. The thing that slowed me down the most was that my web hoster does not like non-browsers pulling down resources, even something as innocuous as an ATOM feed. Once I figured out what was going on, I had to add "browser-like" header information to the request coming out of my WPF app. After that, I wrestled with trying to get a progress indicator working as the video played, but after 10 minutes I punted since it is not as straightforward as it is in Silverlight. Hopefully that is something that will be fixed soon because the only solution I could find was a royal pain compared to what Silverlight provides out of the box. WPF and Silverlight are certainly cousins, but there are a few things that are different enough to drive you a bit batty.
If you are interested in the bare bones SLS via WPF app, you can download it here.