Well, my verdict is in. I have been on the road for a fairly long number of consecutive weeks, and as a result I ended up really having to â€œlive on my phoneâ€ for both professional and personal life. Windows Mobile and Exchange/Outlook Mobile has been a great experience for many years, but this was the first time I have had to really live on my phone and access my online email accounts. Like many people, I have two (some of you certainly have more) email accounts; one with Gmail and one with Hotmail. The short story: Hotmail is hands down the better mobile experience.
The longer story: I was accessing my email via Mobile IE so it was a pretty minimal, barebones experience. I donâ€™t want to hear about this browser or that browser would make my Gmail experience better â€“ I got what I got. Here is my pro/con of each service:
- Digit keys can be used to take actions on email (i.e., delete checked items by pressing 7)
- Cleaner lay out of options
- Ok, this could be a deal breaker, but there where times I could not get to Hotmail due to the service not being available. Iâ€™m not sure if it was a network/mobile IE issue or a Hotmail issue. Regardless, it was never more than a minute before I could get access
- Grouping conversations was still there and handy
- No digit key support â€“ I had to navigate to and click each button to take an action
- The screen real estate just had an awful clunky layout
Ok, not exhaustive, but I like Hotmail better for mobile. For normal access, GMail holds a slight edge for me primarily because of the conversation grouping and tagging.